Panic struck the residents of Mende in Maryland area on Tuesday, as a high tension wire snapped and touched the poles.
The repeated sparks began on Tuesday night, and brought traffic, as commuters ran for safety along the Ikorodu road near Maryland Bridge.
Officials of Ikeja Electric were contacted, and they quickly came to switch off the power line, hence restoring nomalcy.
According to residents, the repeated spark was due to a hanging cable left unattended for days by Ikeja Electric.
The following video shows electric cables sparking fire near the Independence tunnel not too far from the powerline.
When the The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Amodu Shuaibu, was reached, he explained that fire incident was not reported to the service, as when it started, Ikeja Electric was informed and they switched off the light.
The PRO appreciated the swift response by IE to switch off the power line.