Starting your natural hair journey can be such a hassle when you don’t know the necessary tools and products to use and how to properly care for it.
I could remember when I started my natural hair care journey, I was confused, I used anything because I didn’t have enough understanding on how to properly care for my fragile hair, on the long run I discovered I was actually damaging my hair which affected my hair in a negative way, I experienced excessive hair break, hair shed etc.
If you’re a newbie and you don’t have the knowledge on how to care, nurture your beautiful and coarse natural hair, read to the end.
Your hair strands aren’t alive, they are dead cells but your blood vessel keeps nourishing your hair follicles to grow out more hair, the hair that appears at the surface of your skin ain’t alive, they are dead cells, as long your blood vessel keeps supplying your hair follicles with the right nutrients, your hair root will continue to bring more hair.Thats why you need to be extra careful while handling your hair especially your natural hair.
Thats why you need to be extra careful while handling your hair especially your natural hair.
Natural hair is fragile because they are dead cells that you don’t want to handle it aggressively, when handling your natural hair you need to be extra careful in handling and selecting the right products.
Trust me, if you don’t know the necessary tools and right products to use, you’ll get frustrated on the long run and feel like natural hair is a pain in the ass, caring for your natural hair is actually fun and exciting.
When starting your natural haircare journey you need to have your own personal haircare kits, going to the saloon without your own haircare kits should stop after reading this,
Dangers of using other people’s tools including the risk of you having scalp diseases or getting your scalp infected with lice etc which will take you a while to get rid of it.
Imagine getting infected with lice.
Immediately you start your making your hair, get your necessary tools.
Tools Needed For Your Natural Hair Journey
A wide tooth comb: Wide tooth combs have enough space within them to glance through your hair strands without it breaking off, they are very good especially if your comb doesn’t penetrate into your hair strands easily, also avoid using a tight tooth for combing your tangled hair rather use a wide tooth comb or use a more gentle to comb your hair (you could use your fingers to comb your hair which is called finger detangling). Finger detangling is making use of your fingers to detangle your hair, if you can’t use your fingers, use any thing you’re comfortable with but be gentle while doing it. Tight tooth comb tends to pull your hair which makes your hair to break, and if your hair keeps breaking off you won’t retain its length at all. Don’t forget, don’t comb a dry hair please.
- Cutting Comb: Cutting comb is for cutting your hair into sections, it is important you have your own hair care kits, to minimise transfer of any scalp infection.
- Leave in conditioner: Leave in conditioner is actually not a tool but it is very essential in your natural hair journey being that it helps to soften your hair making it easier for you to comb. When I started my haircare journey, combing my hair was hard, I would aggressively comb it, while combing aggressively, my hair would break without mercy it was really that bad, I would detangle my hair in a dry state didn’t know I needed to apply a leave in conditioner. Leave in conditioner moisturizes and strengthens your hair strands, it also helps to keep your hair moisturized making it soft and shiny. If you’re finding it hard to comb your natural hair, apply a leave in conditioner. Start by sectioning your hair into four part, pick one section and apply the leave in conditioner from ends to your roots, apply gently and rub it in, gently comb your hair from your ends to your root, do the same to the other sections you parted. You would notice that, you would find it easy to comb and style your hair.
I hear people say I don’t want my hair to be soft, but I say a weak hair is different from a soft hair, a soft hair is a sign of a moisturized hair and elasticity, which are main to attaining healthy hair growth.
Weak hair breaks easily, looks dull, thin.
If your hair is weak:
Incorporate a weekly deep conditioner treatment to restore your hair strength: Include deep conditioner in your natural hair care routine because they effectively repair damaged hair, restore strength and resilience to your hair, Deep Conditioner(Protein Treatment and Moisture Deep Conditioner Treatment) is not just a thing you can skip, no product can substitute the work of a deep conditioner, because they penetrate deep into the hair cortex and repair damage.
- Incoporate scalp massage.
- Moisturize when necessary.
- Eat Healthy.
- Use right hair care products: Know your hair porosity and Know what works for your hair.When your scalp/hair starts reacting to a product kindly stop using it.
Please note, if your hair is well moisturized, you will experience less breakage.
Another tool you need is a satin bonnet.
Satin Bonnet/Satin Head Wrap/Satin Scalf
You don’t want to damage your ends. Our ends are the oldest part of our hair and they are very fragile, if you rub on different fabrics it breaks off making you have lesser hair length, protecting your hair with a satin bonnet will prevent moisture loss and frizz.
It will also prevent hair breakage. Enemy of hair growth/hair length retention is hair breakage, if you can curb hair breakage you’ll definitely retain more hair length.
Your hair will definitely get better if you pay attention to your scalp and hair needs.
I used all these technique and am still using it and it helped my hair grow, also having a long hair doesn’t come over night, you need to be consistent with your routines/regime.
Thanks for reading loves. Kindly comment any issue you’re facing in your haircare routine.