“There are other problems that come with the usage of Petrol and diesel generators but I aim to explain why solar power is the best and most efficient energy source anywhere and everywhere…”
There has never been a better time to consider changing the energy source used at your homes and workplaces than now. With the unreliability of Nigerian public electricity and the significant increase in the price of petrol in Nigeria, talks about finding the right energy source have been ongoing for quite some time.
Diesel, as well as propane gas, have been considered alternative energy sources, even if they have a lot in common with the more popular Premium Motor Spirits(or petrol). They are long-lasting fuel sources, which means they do not burn as quickly as petrol. Diesel and propane gas do not affect the environment as much or as badly as most fossil fuels.
Sadly, the price of diesel and propane gas has greatly affected patronage. because the average Nigerian cannot afford to buy significant quantities of either fuel. According to Global Petrol Prices, as of February 2023, the price per litre of diesel is NGN817 (Eight hundred and seventeen Naira) while the price of propane gas stands at NGN850 (Eight hundred and fifty Naira) per kilogramme.
The price of either fuel is not likely to decrease anytime soon, considering the ongoing talks about subsidy removal. From my perspective, changing our primary energy source will largely benefit everyone, primarily in the reduction in the cost of petroleum products.
The occasional PMS(petrol) scarcity is one of the biggest issues we face as Nigerians, with petrol as our primary energy source. PMS scarcity is caused by the high demand for petrol and a shortage in the supply of the commodity demanded. This disparity often results in petrol stations determining the price of petrol to sell, which is often time contradictory to the regulated price.
Another big issue Nigerians deal with daily is generator maintenance. When using a generator day-in-day-out due to unstable electricity, it tends to wear out more often. With that comes unexpected maintenance expenses. You can never know for sure when a problem with your generator would likely occur, plunging your home or office into darkness.
Other problems come with the usage of Petrol and diesel generators but I aim to explain why solar power is the best and most efficient energy source anywhere and everywhere.
Solar power can help households and businesses save money that would have been otherwise spent on electricity bills, especially in areas with unreliable or expensive grid electricity. With the increase of small-scale businesses in Nigeria, solar power is an energy source that can help in reducing the cost of electricity for business owners.
Increased Energy Security
Using solar power reduces dependence on the grid and can provide stable electricity in areas with unreliable or no access to grid electricity. Solar Power can act as a backup or even the main source of power for places that are underdeveloped or do not have stable electricity.
The solar industry can create jobs in the manufacturing, installation, and maintenance of solar panels and associated equipment. The production of solar panels requires skilled labour and can create jobs in manufacturing, research and development, and quality control.
Installation and maintenance
As the demand for solar power increases, there will be a need for workers who can install and maintain solar panels in homes and businesses. This can create job opportunities for electricians, roofers, and other skilled workers.
Sales and marketing
As more people become interested in solar power, there will be a need for sales and marketing professionals who can help educate consumers about the benefits of solar power and help them make informed decisions about their energy options.
Research and development
The solar industry is constantly evolving, and there is a need for researchers and scientists who can help develop new and innovative solar technologies.
As the use of solar power increases, there will be a need for workers who can help develop and install energy storage systems, such as batteries, to ensure a reliable energy supply.
Finally, The solar industry has the potential to significantly improve health outcomes in Nigeria by addressing several key challenges related to healthcare provision.
5 Ways Solar Industry Can Improve Health Outcomes In Nigeria
- Improving access to electricity: In Nigeria, many health facilities are not connected to the electricity grid or experience frequent power outages, which can make it difficult to provide high-quality healthcare services. Solar power can help improve access to electricity in remote and under-served areas, ensuring that health facilities can operate more efficiently and provide better care to patients.
- Supporting medical equipment and devices: Many medical devices and equipment require a stable and reliable source of electricity to function properly. Solar power can provide a reliable source of energy, allowing healthcare providers to use essential medical equipment and devices without interruption.
- Reducing air pollution: In many areas of Nigeria, air pollution from the burning of fossil fuels is a major health hazard, particularly for vulnerable populations such as children and the elderly. By promoting the use of solar power, the solar industry can help reduce air pollution and improve air quality, leading to better health outcomes for Nigerians.
- Supporting vaccination programs: Many vaccines require refrigeration to remain effective, but in areas without reliable access to electricity, it can be challenging to maintain the cold chain needed to store and transport vaccines. Solar power can help provide a reliable source of energy for refrigeration, support vaccination programs and improve public health outcomes.
- Promoting community health: Solar-powered lighting can be used to light up community health centres and clinics, improving access to healthcare services and promoting community health. Additionally, solar power can be used to power mobile clinics and outreach programs, bringing healthcare services directly to people in remote and underserved areas.