Tourism is a recreational activity that entails travelling out of your local environment to stay in other places for a stipulated duration.
Tourism is often a fusion of accommodation, entertainment and transportation offered for the enjoyment and convenience of foreign visitors.
Tourism can take many forms of activities ranging from sightseeing, adventure and business travelling, to exploring the cultural and symbolic history of a place. This industry has been making waves and influencing infrastructural development, global economics, employment and the transmission of ideas and cultures.
Below are some popular tourist locations and the countries housing them:
|Paris, France||Louvre Museum, Eiffel Tower, and alluring streets.|
|Rome, Italy||Ancient ruins like the Roman Forum and Colosseum.|
|Kyoto, Japan||Temples, Beautiful gardens, and Traditional tea houses.|
|New York City, USA||Symbolic landmarks like Central Park, Times Square, and the Statue of Liberty.|
|Cape Town, South Africa||Beautiful landscapes (beaches and the Table Mountain).|
|Machu Picchu, Peru||Ancient Incan city nestled in the Andes Mountains.|
|Sydney, Australia||Picturesque harbours and the Sydney Opera House.|
|Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Dynamic and colourful Carnival, Sugarloaf Mountain, and Copacabana Beach.|
|Bangkok, Thailand||An active and energetic city with lively street markets, savory street foods, and beautiful temples.|
Roles of Movies and Pop Culture in the Creation of Tourist Destinations
In recent times, tourism has been influenced by multiple factors. However, movies and pop culture take the forefront as determinants that make these destinations a tourist delight.
Below are some ways this infusion is made possible.
1. Aesthetic Appeal
Filmmakers use beautiful landscapes, iconic landmarks and visually charming settings to boost the appeal of their productions. These images are purposely leveraged to spook a sense of aspiration in viewers to visit these locations in person. Also, other popular culture like social media, music videos and TV shows contribute.
2. Cultural Portrayal
Oftentimes, movies, music, fashion and trends linked with a specific destination dig into the cultural richness of these destinations by showcasing their festivals, lifestyles and local traditions. This helps spark an interest in the mind of the viewers and a longing to experience all of the alluring and different cultures firsthand.
3. Compelling Narratives
The captivating storytelling in movies, literature and music set in particular locations helps create a plot that transcends the physical scenery.
Viewers can feel it in their bones as they connect emotionally with these characters and their experiences in said destinations. This prompts many individuals to embark on an adventurous journey to experience the facts stated in the stories about the destination.
4. Promotional Campaigns
For every blockbuster movie, viral trend and celebrity endorsement you find online, a lot of extensive marketing campaigns have happened behind the scenes. This exposure to target many people across different cultures and continents serves as a promotional tool to attract enthusiasts. It is further fueled by the incessant comments of interested people who have either visited, would love to visit or are making plans to visit.
In the long haul, these destinations become a top priority on the must-visit list of both locals and foreigners.
5. Economic Significance
Filming locations record economic surges before, during and after production. They influence local businesses, accommodations and other tourism services because they get an increase in revenue due to the inflow of tourists.
This eventually leads to a substantial impact on the destination’s economy like employment opportunities for the locals and new infrastructural developments.
Popular Movies/Pop Culture Destinations
There are a plethora of tourist destinations all around the globe. The increase in the number of these places is significantly dependent on the influence of movies and pop culture.
Without further ado, here are some notable examples.
- Iceland — Game of Thrones: Locations like Thingvellir National Park and the Black Sand Beach which served as the backdrop for many scenes in the series have witnessed a surge of admirers to personally explore its mystical settings.
- New York City — Various Films and TV Shows: This city has experienced a lot of fandom visits to iconic locations like the Empire State Building, Central Park and Times Square depicted in classic films and TV shows.
- New Zealand — The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Fans visit the Hobbiton movie set to experience the enchanting Shire depicted in the movies.
- Thailand — The Beach: It brought a lot of attention to Maya Bay in the country.
- New Orleans — The Princess and the Frog: This animation portrayed the charm of the city’s lively culture, unique architecture and jazz music, which has influenced tons of tourist visits to experience the magic of the city in real-time.
- Dubrovnik, Croatia — Game of Thrones: Dubrovnik’s medieval architecture and historic walls featured as the backdrop for King’s Landing in this series has seen a significant increase in admirers who wish to explore these physical locations of the fictional world.
- Scotland — Outlander TV Series: Enthusiasts are drawn to the stunning Scottish Highlands like Doune Castle and Glencoe.
- Tokyo, Japan — Lost in Translation: This movie depicts the bustling and futuristic cityscape of Tokyo. This has significantly raised curiosity about the blend of modernity and tradition and its image as a unique and culturally rich destination among many tourists.
Based on these examples, you are probably reminiscing on some of the beautiful landscapes and intriguing cultures you learned while watching movies. These are just a few of the many more interesting tourist destinations available.
Movies and pop culture serve as tools that influence fans via visual aesthetics and great storylines. They are propellers that help storytelling enthusiasts navigate their way to these destination cities.
The fact that you can decide to visit your best cinematic location in real time is exciting, isn’t it? All you need to do is leap!