Over the years, men, women and children have learnt to keep a diary of all the beautiful and ugly moments of their lives.
Diaries or Journals are some of the most secret belongings of individuals. The contents are always personal and in different categories.
These categories include;
- Likes and Dislikes
- Proud moments
- College Memories
- Childhood adventures
- Emotional Traumas
- Financial Goals
- Economic concerns, etc.
The first use of diary was in Ancient Egypt, where it holds the secrets of the transportation of limestone for the pyramids of Egypt.
Since then, its use went on to feature documentation of scientific and medical researches, military tactics (Adolf Hitler had a diary), etc.
These diaries pass from one generation to another, at times, buried in rubbles of monumental sites or holy buildings.
They survive the test of time to tell a tale lost in time. They provide answers to archaeological questions, scientific queries and social behaviours.
Read more on the history of diaries here
What is a Health Dairy
A health diary is a personal material that contains all personal or family health concerns.
It contains the details of each health problem and care of an individual. These include;
- Name of disease or Doctor’s diagnosis
- number of times it occurred
- Treatment option
- Hospital name
- Doctor’s name, if possible
- How much is spent
- History of the same illness in nuclear or extended family
- The experience (Degree of pain or discomfort)
- Socioeconomic effects of illness (job, salary, interaction with friends)
- Friends and family who cared
- physical deformity, if any, etc
Why You Should have a Health Dairy
Numerous reasons explain having a personal or family health diary. Out of these, one stands out!
- To track and understand health history and needs
Once you have this information, it is easy to plan for healthcare services in the coming year. It is a fundamental key to preparedness.
Also, You would be helping your physician to make quick and informed moves to help you.
When you visit a doctor, the first few questions he/she would ask you about your complaints include;
- Characteristics of the symptom(s)
- Whether you have had a similar experience in the past
- The food you ate or things you did before the onset of the symptoms
- Whether the symptom is getting better or worse
- What you have done to help yourself
Furthermore, If you cross-reference these questions to the ones in your diary, you will find that long consultations are avoidable.
How to Keep a Health Dairy
Keeping a health diary is not different from how other types of diaries are kept. However, these tips are helpful;
- Keep health diary more private than others
- Make a monthly or quarterly documentation
- Use a distinct jotter or book
- Seal if possible
- Make a digital photocopy on phones and tablets
- always lock digital copies
- Share only with partner and/or parents, and physician
- Document in details
- Categorize illnesses by month, expenses, degree of pain and discomfort, and other association
In the coming year, as you plan to get the house and cars and become a good husband or wife, make efforts to plan for health too.
No matter the level of preparation for a new year, if it lacks healthcare plans, the planning is a failure before it begins.
A man with health is a man capable of making wealth.
Therefore, start making health diaries today.