The Sigma Awards for Journalism has begun to receive entries for its 4th edition.
The Sigma Awards is a competition to celebrate the best data journalism from around the world. It also aims to empower, elevate and enlighten the global community of data journalists.
Geeky Nigeria reports that The 2022 edition of The Sigma Awards received 603 entries from 379 organizations in 76 countries/areas. One of the goals of the Awards is to unite, galvanize and expand data journalism communities around the world.
A USD $5,000 cash prize will be split among winners, and will also be flown to Perugia, Italy to attend and take part in the International Journalism Festival 2023. In addition, winners will be brought together to participate in and lead online data journalism panels, discussions, and workshops.
The following are the criteria for the sigma awards. Kindly go through before applying at the bottom of the page:
- Entries must be for work published in the calendar year 2022 (between 1 January 2022 and 31 December 2022)
- Entries have to be submitted via our online form.
- Entries have to be received by January 19th, 2023 at 11:59 pm ET, to qualify.
- Applicants can enter as many projects as they want.
- Entries have to specify if they qualify as a large or a small newsroom or as an individual, where applicable. Small newsrooms are defined as those with 35 or fewer journalists (including regular freelancers/contractors), or equivalent (eg, two half-time freelancers count as one person.)
- Organizations that do not qualify under this definition but who believe they belong in the small newsroom category may petition for an exception by sending a letter from the editor-in-chief explaining his or her rationale to Marianne Bouchart, executive director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Collaborative work has to be entered as a large newsroom.
- Entering organizations grant The Sigma Awards the right to use their material in their entry, including the organization’s name and logo, on The Sigma Awards website, and other marketing material around the awards.
Visit Official Sigma Awards Portal – https://sigmaawards.awardsplatform.com/