Many individuals, professionals, and students often face difficulties in choosing the right laptop for their various activities.
One of the most significant dilemmas when selecting a laptop is whether to prioritise a wider screen or portability.
In this article, we will explore the importance of both wider screens and portability as well as how to determine which laptop size is most suitable for your needs.
Importance Of Screen Size In Choosing A Laptop
The size of a laptop screen is arguably one of the most significant computing experience factors as bigger screens are more comfortable for everyday work, multimedia, and gaming. Although a bigger screen requires more power and means the device carrying it is heavier and bulkier, it still has some major benefits which are highlighted below.
- Enhanced Productivity: A larger screen allows for multitasking and making complex tasks more manageable. It is highly beneficial for professionals who rely on video editing, graphic design, or data analysis.
- Better Multitasking: A wider screen allows you to open multiple windows side by side, streamlining workflow and boosting efficiency. This is particularly beneficial for students and professionals who need to work with various applications simultaneously.
- Immersive Entertainment: For those who enjoy watching movies, playing games, or editing photos, a wider screen can offer a more riveting experience, bringing your content to life with vibrant colours and sharp details.
- Easier Reading and Research: When it comes to reading articles, e-books, or conducting research, a wider screen reduces the need for constant scrolling, providing a more comfortable reading experience.
Importance Of Portability In Choosing A Laptop
Portability is essentially important for people who move around often. Some of its benefits include:
- Lighter Weight: Smaller laptops are generally lighter and very handy, making them the perfect choice for individuals who need to carry their devices around frequently, such as students or travellers.
- Longer Battery Life: Smaller laptops have been known to have better battery life, ensuring that you can work or entertain yourself for extended periods without needing to recharge. Some of the reasons why smaller laptops often have better battery life can be due to lower performance demands, optimized power management, energy-efficient components, etc.
- Compact Design: A more portable laptop mostly has a slimmer and more compact design, making it easy to fit into backpacks or carry-on luggage.
- Comfortable Typing: Narrower keyboards which is a typical feature of smaller-sized laptops, make typing more comfortable, as they require less hand movement.
How To Determine Which Laptop Size Is Most Suitable For Your Needs
- Personal Use: Think about what you will primarily use your laptop for. If it is for work that involves graphics or data analysis, a wider screen might be more beneficial but in the case of frequent travel or school, portability may be the priority. If you’re looking for a portable laptop with a decent screen size and average performance, the 13 or 14-inch screen models are perfect. They are larger, which is reflected in the keyboard size and makes typing more comfortable and good for watching movies. The bigger screens like 15 to 18-inch screen models are not necessary for travellers for those with increased mobility.
- Business Use: For those using only word processing or other lighter programs, you will find that the 11 to 12-inch laptops are strong enough to perform basic daily tasks. But if you are using software that requires top-level specs, there are quite several models that will match your requirements. The 17 to 18-inch laptops offer excellent specifications, making them ideal choices for business people who need to use demanding programs. It is important to note that many consider larger screens as it helps them focus. You do not have to waste time scrolling or going back and forth to different windows. However, this might not be reasonable for everyday work where you have to carry them around.
- Student Use: Portability is perhaps the most important key factor for many students when choosing a laptop as they usually take their laptops to class. The 11 to 12-inch laptops are a great choice for students needing laptops for word processing, making presentations, etc. While the 13 or 14-inch laptops are a perfect blend of portability and performance, some students prefer 15 to 16-inch laptops because the screens are big enough to keep them focused, and they can still be carried around the campus without too much difficulty. Screen sizes ranging from 17 inches and above will not be a top choice for students due to the difficulty in carrying around.
- Gaming: High-resolution, extreme precision, powerful specs, and top-quality cooling systems are the average gamer’s go-to when selecting laptops of their choice. Gamers typically prefer larger screens due to their better visibility, keeping in mind that playing highly demanding games on smaller laptops can cause them to overheat. It is to this effect that gamers often go for laptops with 15 to 18-inch screen sizes which provide better immersive experience and good visibility. The 15 to 18-inch laptops also offer portability and are an excellent choice for gamers who often travel. In the case of gamers, wider screen size always outshines portability since most gamers likely set up their gaming stations at home.
When choosing a laptop, the decision between a wider screen and portability is not one-size-fits-all. Carefully assessing your specific requirements, and weighing the relative importance of either option helps to align your needs and enhances your overall computing experience. While all laptops have their apparent usefulness, the perfect laptop is the one that empowers you to accomplish your tasks with ease and convenience.
RESEARCHER: Olukotun Joan